Follow these Earthquake Insurance Los Angeles guide in order to be prepared and remain safe before, during and after an earthquake.
Before an Earthquake
- Pack a small emergency kit to be kept at work. Include items such as food, water, toiletries, a flashlight, and batteries to last for up to 72 hours. Make sure it is portable in case you have to move to another location.
- Review the Emergency Action Plan as outlined in your employee safety manual, or ask Human Resources about the protocol for earthquakes.
- · Develop a plan for reuniting with your family after the disaster.
During an Earthquake
- If you are outside, move to a clear area free of power lines, signage or trees that may fall on you.
- If you are driving, pull over until the shaking subsides. Avoid overpasses and power lines.
- If you are inside, stay there.
- Seek immediate shelter under a heavy desk or table, or brace yourself inside a door frame or against an inside wall, especially if in a high-rise building.
- Stay at least 15 feet away from windows.
- If shaking causes the desk or table to move, be sure to move with it.
- If you use a wheelchair, lock the wheels if possible and cover your head with your arms.
- Resist the urge to panic. Organize your thoughts. Think as clearly as possible, and anticipate the sights and sounds that may accompany an earthquake.
- If you are safely able to do so, assist any co-workers that need extra help.
- Don’t be surprised if the electricity goes out, if fire or elevator alarms begin ringing, or if the sprinkler system is activated. Expect to hear noise from broken glass, creaking walls, and falling objects.
Immediately After an Earthquake
- Remain in the same “safe” location for several minutes after the earthquake, in case there are any aftershocks.
- Do not attempt to evacuate or leave your area until you have been instructed to do so. Unless absolutely necessary.
- Check for injuries and administer necessary first aid. Recognize and assist co-workers who are suffering from shock or emotional distress.
- Implement your survival plan. Establish a temporary shelter. In case, rescue teams are expected to be delayed.
- Use a stairway when instructed to exit the building.
Earthquake insurance needs can vary significantly – Let Earthquake Insurance Los Angeles help you shop with the best earthquake insurance companies in Los Angeles to find you the right policy. Contact us at (811) 234-5600.
For more information on Umbrella insurance, we introduce you to the BEST insurance broker agency.